Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Why being red in the face...is good for your mental and emotional health

Most people would assume that I'm talking about anger when discussing having a red face.  But this picture should say it all.  This is after a good run that was exhausting.  When I first started working out in June 2013, that was the first benefit I noticed to working out...I was calmer.  Who can stress when they're that tired??  Lol.  

I'm sure we all know that a lot of research has been done on the correlation between exercise and mental and emotional health, but this article indicates that many doctors and psychologists do not include exercise as part of their treatment planning.  As a future counselor, I am now learning how exercising 3-6 times per week can help aid in depression management, good sleep habits, emotional stability, and release from anxiety.  It is it's own high.  A mood-altering endorphin rush that leaves you relaxed the rest of the day.  Seriously...if you start, you will want more.  
http://www.apa.org/monitor/2011/12/exercise.aspx

For me, it's about stability in everything.  I don't like crying one day, and being ecstatic the next.  As my life continues to even out, my choice to focus on working out has been a good one.  Challenging...but good.  I trust God to give me the inner strength that I need to pursue this goal as well as others that I am working on now and in the future.  No matter your reasons for working out and working on living a more healthy lifestyle, kudos.  I challenge everyone who reads this to think about their emotional and mental stability and consider stepping on a treadmill to get your heart racing and your mind relaxed.  God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment