Wednesday, January 15, 2014

How is Success Measured?

The truth about success?

In fitness and health...It's relative.  

What I consider a success...you may not.

What I've been learning lately is to CREATE a success.  This is especially true when I fail.

For example: If I mess up and have a Mountain Dew, I think, "Man.  I used to have 3 cans of Mountain Dew in an hour!  Now I'm down to one can every once in a great while!  That's amazing."

And then...I keep on going and get back on track with my delicious water ;-)  That is still a success for me.

Rules about success:

1.  Never compare yourself to others.  I know that my brother can run a faster mile than me.  TONS of people can run a faster mile than me.  But...when I started a few months ago, it took me 21 minutes to walk/jog a mile.  A few days ago I did it in 15:30.  That's a HUGE success to me, considering the last time I "ran" was for presidential testing during gym class when I was 10.  

2.  Find success.  What about your situation is a success?  Take the time to realize what you are doing differently since you've started working out and eating right.  I realized a couple days ago that I had convinced myself TO workout, instead of talking myself out of it.  It was a crazy conversation: 
"I don't want to workout"
"Yeah but if I don't do it today I'll have to do it tomorrow"
"Yeah but that's no big deal"
"But if I do it tomorrow, I miss my day off and then I have to workout two days in a row"
"Ok.  Maybe I'll do weightlifting today, but do cardio tomorrow"
"But if I do that...then I won't have my day off"
"Ok.  I'll do the whole workout, be focused, do well, and get my day off tomorrow"

Tada! :-)

3.  Get out of your comfort zone.  When you are out of your usual "happy place," you give yourself more chances to have success because nearly everything will be new and exciting: a chance for success in new ways...ways you've never let yourself be successful before.  I never thought I'd run.  But now I know that I can and I am excited every time I take off even another second of my run time.  I'd never experience that thrill if I stayed on my couch.

4.  Small changes done consistently will yield results.  Make a couple of choices you are able to commit to 100%.  "I am going to workout 3 days per week."  Not a huge time commitment, but you get your feet wet with starting to workout.  If you do that consistently, you will feel the results and feel better knowing that you are committed to your plan.  "I am going to eat right."  Once you find your place with your nutrition, commit to following your meal plan 100%.  Those 2 things alone will change your life and your outlook.

Find your success and your passion and you will stay committed to your plan.  Be positive and always learn from the past, enjoy the present, and hope for the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment